Porquerolles possède un riche patrimoine historique et archéologique.
Les îles d'Hyères étaient nommées les Stoechades par les auteurs anciens.
En -67, Marcus Pomponius chasse les pirates de la mer.
Valens, en 69, s'était réfugié dans les îles mais des galères vinrent l'y arrêter.
Les pirates infestent à nouveau la zone au V° siècle.
Du VIIIè au Xè siècle, la mer est considérée comme une "mer arabe" : les habitants se sont éloignés des côtes et la mer est occupée essentiellement par des populations musulmanes.
The ruins of the mill soda and potashThe lower battery : les MèdesThe upper battery : les MèdesThe Grand LangoustierThe Grand LangoustierPorquerolles lighthouse The Lion batteryTélégraphe sans fil (DR)
The ruins of the mill soda and potash
|Porquerolles experienced industrialization in the nineteenth through the creation of a potash plant for the soap of Marseille and Toulon. The plant was in operation from 1827 to 1876, nearly fifty years of production. This production was not without impact on the environment, potash and soda were probably contaminated some soil. The manufacture of these basic solutions in the composition of soap have resulted in deforestation for heating tanks. The plant then employed between 100 and 150 employees spread over several hectares. One of the basic construction materials are on site: seawater Today, Mas Lobster, 4 star hotel, occupies the ruins.|
The lower battery : les Mèdes
|Located at the eastern end, on a rocky ridge, the battery was created in 1794, its function was to cover our lady beach west. In 1813, the battery was refitted for the big fight going on. In 1840, she was endowed with a barracks for his servants. Through the ages the caliber weapons and the configuration of the site evolved after the needs and progress, it is not surprising to see changes over time within these strongholds.|
The upper battery : les Mèdes
|Military structure constructed for the purpose of the reorganization of the Coast in 1918 was completed In 1932. Its mission was the defense sector of Toulon, for that its equipment was equipped with 4 tanks of 164 mm. The battery design was a forerunner in its time, especially in terms of camouflage.|
The Grand Langoustier
|The battery meets its fires with those batteries: the "small" Lobster of Ribaud, Bon Renaud, the Lion, Lequin, the Medes, the Pradeau and Esterel. Its armament in 1880 included 30 gauge rifled cannon, supplied each of 156 shots, including 6 with grapeshot cannons and 2 of 4 striped campaign to fire the side of the earth. 14 men served this stronghold.|
The Grand Langoustier
|The battery meets its fires with those batteries: the "Great" Lobster of Ribaud, Bon Renaud, the Lion, Lequin, the Medes, the Pradeau and Esterel. Its armament consisted of 4 in the eighteenth century guns caliber 36, supplied each of 156 shots, including 6 with grape and 2 of 18 guns on alert. 18 men served this stronghold.|
|From its 145 meters above sea level dominates the semaphore 360 °|
The Lion battery
|Battery Lion is located near the village. She crosses her fire with several batteries, while protecting the password and the port of Porquerolles. - 1 barrel 16 gauge - 2 30-rifled barrels - mortar 32 to plate 29 men used this battery in 1880. Today the farm is home to IGESA (Establishment of social management of Armies)|
Télégraphe sans fil (DR)
|The wireless telegraph was in SD on the island. It was composed of several antennas and buildings.|